Saturday, July 23, 2016

Chapter 23: Coffee

If It Doesn't Kill Us It Makes Us Stronger

Chapter 23: Coffee



It was on a shopping trip.


While Rosella was trying on clothes, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see none other than Robyn. She had dyed her hair back to brown and toned down her wardrobe. A flood of emotions came in overwhelming me. For a moment, I forgot where I was and who I was with. We talked for a couple minutes until agreeing to meet up for coffee later that week. It was just going to be coffee with an old friend. I hadn't seen or heard from Robyn since high school, that was nearly six years ago. I wanted to get to know the person she grew into and I know she felt the same.


While at the cafe, Robyn told me how she overheard what I had said to Isaac senior year About her being crazy. I blushed for a moment, ashamed of my rudeness. I started to apologize before she cut me off. "I hated you for years after that, Logan. I felt like you just weren't understanding me. No one was even trying to understand me at that point. But hey, I guess that's how every teenager feels".


I told her that she looks a lot different from then. She gave me a puzzled look as I tried explaining how my comment was meant to be a compliment. Our conversation started off a bit rocky, to put it nicely.


The jokes were contrived and our laughs were insincere.


However, after a short while, those six years apart melted away. It was just her and I. We were in the cafe, reminiscing about old times, talking about our futures. I told her about everything and everyone. I left out one small detail about my life though. I didn't tell her that I was engaged. 

I didn't even tell her that I was seeing someone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment