Saturday, July 9, 2016

Chapter 18: What's Right

If It Doesn't Kill Us It Makes Us Stronger

Chapter 18: What's Right



Spring Break came pretty fast. Rosella told us that she'd love to go camping with her roommate Kimmie, but didn't quite have the money to do it. Isaac and I decided to join them. I was actually hoping that this trip would allow Isaac to see how silly he was being by not going after Rosella.


Camping was actually pretty cool. I roasted a marshmallow for the first time that week.


While I was thoroughly enjoying the great outdoors,


Isaac seemed to be focusing on something - or someone - else.


Isaac loves astrology, but when him and Rosella laid down to watch the stars, he was watching her.


Issac wasn't the only one flirting. Kimmie and I grew much closer on this trip.


Rosella was definitely the best storyteller I've ever met. She was just so animated while speaking and just had this way with words.


It wasn't hard to see why Isaac was so smitten with her.


Kimmie and I became a little more than friends.


Actually, a lot more. I guess you could say that we bonded.


Once the trip ended, Isaac and Rosella were closer than ever.


Rosella asked me to talk with her in the student commons, she sounded a little nervous, which was out of character for her. She told me that she was thinking about making a move on Isaac, but wasn't sure if he even saw her as more than a friend. I couldn't help but laugh a little, it was obvious that they were both into each other. I merely encouraged her.


And I'm sure things would've worked out differently if Isaac didn't get that text message from his parents that night.


Isaac often broke the dorm curfew. He'd walk from the guys' dorm to the girls' dorm in the middle of the night, just to see Rosella. They'd spend the entire time just talking.


This night, Rosella took my advice and made a move...only to be immediately shot down. Isaac didn't stay over long that night.


The next day, Isaac introduced me to his new friend Marissa. Apparently she was a friend of his family back in Nigeria. Her family had recently moved and both sets of parents were encouraging them to be together.


I don't know if I'll ever understand why Isaac was so afraid of disappointing his parents, but he was. He knew that they would want Marissa, a nice, simple Nigerian girl studying cardiology over Rosella, a loud, tattooed, opinionated, boisterous art major.


I headed over to Rosella's dorm. I wanted her to hear about Marissa from me first so that she wouldn't be blindsided. Maybe I have some sort of hero complex, but I felt that a girl like her deserved greatness. I comforted her and we talked for a long time, missing our morning classes to do so. One thing led to another and there we were.


I had just made out with the girl that my best friend was crazy about. 


And I didn't even regret it.

1 comment: