Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Chapter 6: Consolation Prize



If It Doesn't Kill Us It Makes Us Stronger

Chapter 6:  Consolation Prize


I didn't mean to lash out at Robyn like that. My head was just spinning. It's two in the morning when my phone rings, waking me up. It was Robyn.  We hadn't even spoken in months at the time. I answer the phone in my groggy voice and she asks if I could get her from Isaac's house.  I'm confused but I go ahead and do it. At the front door I am greeted by an underwear-clad Robyn. I didn't see Isaac but honestly, I wasn't even looking for him. I thought I was over Robyn. No, I am over Robyn. But, there was just something so weird about knowing Isaac gets to see her like this all the time and how I never will. The car ride to her house is complete silence. I will always remember that night. I will always remember how much I messed up in those moments.
Needless to say, our friendship had vanished.


Because I no longer had my typical group of friends, I fully poured myself into the one person I had left: Jaz.  


I thought we were together a lot before, but now we were inseparable. 


We became that couple. I'm sure you know the type.  The type of couple that does absolutely everything together.  The couple you wonder if they are physically glued together. 


What can I say? I was young, dumb, and I thought it was love. I was just too into her. 


I started to smother her.  "I love spending time with you Logan. I really do, but it's starting to become a tad overbearing. Everywhere I go, you're there too. At home, at school, during class, in the halls, on the weekends. It's just a bit much. I'm sorry."


I don't know what I was thinking that day, but it probably had to do with how I felt I was losing everyone important to me simultaneously.  I asked her what was so bad about being together?  Why didn't she want to accept my love? "I think I'm in love with you, Robyn."


Jaz's eyes burrowed into my soul. "Is that what this is? I'm just some consolation prize for Robyn?" 
I knew that from this point forward, I had absolutely no one.  Because of my bad timing, impulsiveness, and stupidity, I had isolated myself.


Without having anyone else to talk to at school, I began reading more.  I started spending my lunch periods in the library, hoping I could read about a world better than the one I was currently living in.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Logan, you sure made a mess of things. NEVER call a girl by the wrong name, especially when you're telling her you're in love with her. I do feel bad for the poor guy. Teenage years are tough and when you're in a situation like bailing out the girl you have strong feelings for, it makes you say and do things you regret later on.

    I'm enjoying this so much! You write this so well and you can really feel for what Logan is going through. I'm so looking forward to seeing more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AUGH LOGAN .. NOT a good move .. seriously dude ... smh

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Freudian slip of the worst sort...

    ReplyDelete