Monday, June 20, 2016

Chapter 1: The First Encounter



If It Doesn't Kill Us It Makes Us Stronger

Chapter 1:  The First Encounter


We met in an apartment. I was living there with my grandma when we heard neighbors were moving in.  Because I was an introverted kid, I wasn't exactly planning on going out of my way to meet a stranger.  Grandma kept telling me about how the neighbors had a daughter my age and that it would be courteous if I introduced myself.  She did the thing adults do to kids, phrase an idea as a choice when it's actually a request. I walked across the hall and met the girl. As soon as I walked through the door, I noticed her smile.


I tried to hide my awkwardness when I introduced myself.  "I'm L-L-Logan".  I was unsuccessful.  She simply smiled and replied, "Hi L-L-Logan. I'm Robyn and it is an honor to meet you."  From that moment forward, I just knew we were going to be great friends. 


 We quickly became inseparable. Every single day we were doing one thing or another together.  We would go swimming in the pool out back and just splash each other for hours. We would goof around in tree houses and jungle gyms. 


Even back then, I remember thinking she was absolutely radiant.




Our playtime had no limit, we would often still be outside when the sky began to darken.


Unfortunately, this managed to land me in hot water with my grandma.  


As we all know, all good things must come to an end.  Robyn left my life almost as quickly as she had entered.  Her family had to relocate because of her father's job.  I was distraught at first. She was one of my first friends, practically my only friend at the time. Thankfully, I had my grandma there to console me.  The last words Robyn told me were, "Don't worry! We will surely meet again. This isn't a goodbye, it's a 'see ya' later'!"

3 comments:

  1. It's funny how you just sometimes click with someone. It was great to see them having so much fun together. Shame her family had to move. :( That's always so hard on friends when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That shot with Grandma is so adorable

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, this reminds me of my own childhood. Whenever my sister and I went to visit our grandparents, there were these two boys, just a bit younger than us, that lived down the street. We had so much in common and loved playing together. I always looked forward to every time I went to visit my grandparents because then we'd get to hang out. Then on one trip when we showed up, we found out they had moved away, because their mother had suddenly passed away from an asthma attack and their dad had remarried. I still to this day wonder whatever became of those boys, all these years later!

    ReplyDelete