Monday, August 1, 2016

Chapter 25: Isaac's Story II

If It Doesn't Kill Us It Makes Us Stronger

Chapter 25: Isaac's Story II


While I was still in school after Logan, I had a lot of time to think. Think about Marissa, my parents, my  future, everything. Through this, I discovered what actually mattered to me: friendship. I work hard on being a kind and respectable person each day, but occasionally, that doesn't work out. I had been thinking about Robyn often. I regretted the way I left things in high-school. I took a deep breath and dialed her phone number, hoping it hadn't changed.


Luckily, it hadn't. She answered and after a few phone calls and apologies, I decided to meet her in person. I wanted her to realize that I wasn't the same person from then.


Robyn's 'look' hadn't changed much since I last saw her. The only difference was her clothes and makeup were even edgier than before, at least, compared to what I'm used to. There wasn't any awkwardness. We merely talked. Told each other about university, family, friends, and our love lives. Apparently she had just ended a relationship with a guy named Jacen. She said my call was at the right time and it cheered her up.


She told me that the night she dumped me all those years ago weren't just because of what I did. After she explained, I told her about Marissa Okoye. How she finally met the rigid standards of my family. She could tell by my face that I wasn't thrilled about her.


"I mean, she's perfect. At least, on paper she is. We just don't connect in the way I hoped we would."


Robyn explained to me that I couldn't continue to live a life that someone else dreamed for me. I had to go after what I wanted. I needed to take time and figure out who Isaac really was and what he wanted out of life. As she helped me, I helped her. We were good friends for each other.  She admitted that this look wasn't genuinely her and that she needed to change back into how she liked to be viewed.


After a few months of reconnecting, we were both in a much better place. I felt so grateful for having someone like Robyn in my life. She was the only person I knew that truly went after what she wanted. She didn't take the time to carefully plan ahead or consider outsiders' feelings. She was just doing what made her happy and that was incredible to me.


During a usual discussion where I was seeking advice on my parents, Robyn got this mischievous glint in her eye. She reminded me of how angry my parents were when I used to date Robyn. If I were to lie and tell them that I was not only dating her now but things were getting serious, they'd be furious. My parents would be forced into an uncomfortable situation. She warned me that it may be a long time before they'd come around but eventually, it had to work. I was nervous, but she gave me the push I needed to get through. 


On the next break, I returned home as usual. My mother was furious because news traveled fast and she found out that Marissa and I were over. My mother told me that this was an obvious sign of disrespect on my part. She reminded me of how I was ruining the family.


I was terribly shaky, debating whether or not it was even a good idea to commence with the plan. Then, I remembered that if I wanted to break free from this, I'd have to tell my parents. "I started seeing Robyn again." My mother merely laughed at first, "You can't possibly be talking about the girl from high-school ". I nodded and that was when all her rage broke free.


"All your father and I have ever wanted was for you to have a good life. We planned success, fortune, happiness, and a perfect family. Why would you go behind our backs and do something so cruel? Is this some kind of joke? Why are you even telling us? I know you can't expect our approval"


The conversation was going as well as I had expected. Then, I knew I had to end it here. "I didn't expect your approval tonight. And, y'know what else? I don't even want it." I left the house and drove back to my university. Might as well stay there if family didn't want to see me.


It suddenly felt as if I had loosened shackles that had been placed on me. I kissed Robyn out of excitement the next time I saw her. As I realized what I did, I tried backing away until she pulled me in for more. Maybe I didn't lie to my parents after all. 

1 comment:

  1. Regardless of how things end up with Robyn, his parents needed that.

    ReplyDelete