Monday, August 8, 2016

Chapter 27: Back to School

If It Doesn't Kill Us It Makes Us Stronger

Chapter 27: Back to School


Since neither Rosella or I could in good conscious keep the house, we ended our lease together. Staying with Rayven didn't seem to be an option. Rayven and I just cannot get along and I refuse to allow Lory to watch us if we became a trainwreck. Staying with Isaac and Robyn is an experience that I refuse to relive. Luckily, family is always there for you through tough times. Grandma and I hadn't seen each other in years. The last time we spoke, she yelled and kicked me out.


My grandma was quite surprised to see me. I knew that she looked sad because of how our last conversation ended. I wish I would've came back sooner.


I comforted her. I apologized profusely for my actions. I admitted that I was incredibly irresponsible last time. I told her that Lory is growing up so fast and I promised to bring her by soon. I promised that I wasn't the same sixteen year-old Logan. I assured her that I had matured.


We reunited and she offered to let me live with her. I had hoped that we would repair our relationship, but I severely underestimated her kindness. Thanks to her, I was able to spend the next three years saving up for my own place.


With money from being a freelance artist, it took a while before I was comfortably on my feet, but it eventually happened. I decided to rent a condominium. I didn't want a house, it would be so large and seem empty. I'd often feel alone. I found one in the same neighborhood that Rayven and Lory resided in. This way I was back to being close to my daughter. She was getting old. In just a year, she'll officially be in the double-digits.


At the complex I had three roommates. There was Alaina. She was a virtuoso. There didn't seem to be a musical instrument that she couldn't play.


Brody was a writer. He assured all of us that he was just living here until his book started earning millions. Maybe it's just me, but I don't expect a book titled "How I Got This Awesome" written by someone unknown, to be on the top of bestseller lists. I wish him the best though.


Lastly, there was Moa. She was the youngest of us all. Just barely nineteen, she told me she was taking some time to truly 'find herself'. She was into all this new-age yoga, sustainable clothing, and often spoke of how to diminish her carbon footprint. Her dream was to introduce vegan cuisine to our country, becoming the first celebrity vegan chef.  Needless to say, we had very little in common. She was an interesting conversationalist though. 
I was speaking to my grandma, living with quirky roommates, and thrilled to be my own. This was like high-school all over again. 


1 comment: