Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Chapter 30: The Time is Now

If It Doesn't Kill Us It Makes Us Stronger

Chapter 30: The Time is Now



As the ceremony began, I turned to look at Issac's mother. Her face said it all. Their was a lifetime worth of regret written across it. Her son was successful in his own right now, something she hadn't realized until this very moment. I heard that the last time her and Isaac spoke is when he rekindled his relationship with Robyn.


I moped on the walk to my seat. This is actually happening right now. My best friend is marrying the love of my life. The only thing I can do is sit here, smile, and pretend to be happy for them like I know I should.


No, no, no. Wait a second. Am I really gonna let the love of my life slip away from me forever? Am I really just going to stand aside and pretend that the last twenty-five years didn't happen? Could I continue living with myself if I don't at least try? I take a few deep breaths, readying myself for this moment. I'm just gonna start sprinting down the aisle until I see her and that's when...what's happening now?


"There's no easy way to say this, but I just can't do this."
"W-What?!" Robyn's lip begins to tremble. Everyone at the wedding holds their breath.


"I've spent my entire life trying to impress my parents and living up to their impossible expectations for me. I fought so hard to be with you, in spite of their harsh rules. I've come to realize that all this time I've been fighting for the wrong girl. The right girl is actually here. It's Rosella."


Robyn begins to sob.


Rosella turns to me,  both of us in shock, "What did he just say?"


"Rosella, I was so foolish in college. You are the most beautiful and interesting person I have ever met. I've always been my truest self with you. I never in a million years thought that I'd be this bold. What do ya' say? I have no idea where we're gonna go from here, but I know it'll be great if we're together."


No one utters a word. Robyn is completely devastated. Isaac's boldness only further encourages me. When Robyn comes down the aisle in tears, I reached out and stop her. "Robyn, I know you're feeling sad right now, but I have a confession to make. I've been in love with you practically since the day I met you. We could turn this day around if you reciprocate these feelings?" 
For the longest time, she say's nothing. All eyes are on us. 
"'feeling sad'? Are you kidding? This man that I'm in love with, a man that I thought loved me back just left me at the altar! See, this is why you and I would never work out. Your sense of timing is beyond awful".
I watched as she stormed off. I guess this is the end of whatever I thought we had.

No comments:

Post a Comment